Friday, January 10, 2014

My Labor & Delivery Experience - Part 3



If you're just now 'tuning in', make sure you don't miss the first two parts!





So the time has come to push! I really wasn't ready for this part because everything I had read up to that point didn't make it sound very pleasant with or without an epidural. I'll tell you what, that delivery bed breaks right down, the stirrups come out from underneath, and they hit this switch and the ceiling opens up and a huge light comes down. No joke! Ryan thought that was pretty cool. Then once we were all set, right before we started, the computer monitor showing my contractions went out. They had switched out the monitor in the middle of the night because it was acting up too. We still had the paper printing out showing my contractions so my nurse said we could go from that. She had me start pushing and I was expecting to feel all kinds of painful things but all I felt was a little pressure. We started out fine but she realized the printer was delayed in showing my contractions. So she asked me to try and feel through my epidural for my contractions so I would know when to start pushing and we could get the best out of my contractions. If I really concentrated, I could tell when I was having one so we got into a rhythm. Dr. Cooper had been in and out at this point checking on progress and telling me how well I was doing. Ryan who had previously said he wanted to stay right next to my head and not see a thing was down checking out what was going on. They asked me if I wanted a mirror to watch and I said no. I don't think I would have been able to concentrate.

So I pushed and pushed and prayed for the Lord to give me the strength and pushed and pushed prayed that everything would happen how it was supposed to and pushed some more. Evan got right to the end but would not crown. They had to put oxygen on me because I was exhausted and at times Evans heart rate would go down. So we changed the amount of repetitions I would push during a contraction and sometimes we would let a contraction go by just to give me and baby a break. Ryan was so wonderful through out, he rubbed my back, encouraged me, reassured me and even complimented me. It was such a special experience for him and I to share together. Finally Dr. Cooper came in and said it was time Evan made his appearance and he was going to give him a little assistance. He said I just had a little work left to do, so after they got the suction placed on baby's head we waited for a contraction and Dr. Cooper told me to push when he pulled. At this point, Dr. Cooper realized he wasn't coming out without tearing me so he prepared to make the cut. I had a moment of panic when I felt the scissors touch me, I could feel the cold of the metal and I thought, "Oh my gosh, this is going to hurt." But thankfully I didn't feel it!

I can't explain to you how it felt when I could feel Evan's head and then shoulders make their way out of my body. I have sat and tried to describe it but there are no words. It wasn't pain but it was pressure, like a bone stretching pressure. I was so concentrated on what was happening, I only remember hearing Ryan say, "Here he comes babe, look there he is!" and Evan was born at 2:50 pm. I was in awe, just pure amazement that that little human being just made his way from my body. I was so over-joyed that tears just silently flowed from my eyes. I watched them take him over to the warmer and I watched Ryan staring at him with a look of happiness that just made me feel like the luckiest woman in the world. I prayed and thanked the Lord. Evan got cleaned off and swaddled and handed to Ryan while I delivered the afterbirth, got stitches and they cleaned me up and put everything back the way it was before. Ryan looked so proud and so much like a dad, like he had been meant to be one his whole life! Then he handed him to me and I was speechless for a moment. I said, "Hi Evan, I'm your mommy. You are our little miracle, you know that? Our little gift from God, I prayed for you for so long." and I kissed his little face and smiled up at my amazing husband.

The End Beginning. <3




I hope if you are getting ready to have your own baby or you are thinking about starting a family, that in me sharing my story, it helps you see that it doesn't have to be scary. Every pregnancy and every delivery are different. But just know that with a strong partner, a supportive family, and most importantly faith in the Lord - it can be the most amazing, eye opening, beautiful experience of your life. It truly is a miracle. :)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am so happy for you and proud of you. I love reading your blog, it makes me think about writing one. I am always hearing about people being afraid of labor because they have only heard horror stories. All of my labors have been pretty amazing, I think I should share. Love you Lyndsay, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you should share! I would love to read your blog when/if you make one! Let me know if you do, I can help. I've done all of my layout and graphics myself. :)

      Delete